Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

                                                                                                                                                                               return to archive 2013


With only one point separating the two teams, top of the table Dinas took on second placed St Fagan's on Saturday, 14th September, in a 'winner takes all' finale with promotion to the first Division the prize for the victors.

In gloriously sunny conditions, befitting the occasion, the game got underway in front of a healthy, and at times very vocal but sporting, group of spectators, from both camps.

As expected the early exchanges were played out in a very competitive manner, and after seven ends all four rinks were tight, with nothing in the game, as St Fagan's held a very narrow one shot advantage at 21-20.

By the close of the 12th end Dinas had edged in front by three shots, largely courtesy of Mike Ackland's rink holding a six shot lead, but with Gareth Griffiths' rink trailing by six and one rink tied there was still little to choose between the sides.

At this stage of the proceedings however Dinas were able to find another gear, and over the next six ends really started to take control of the match.

Griffiths' rink exploded into action, taking a seven, on the 16th end, in scoring 16 scots whilst conceding four, to turn their six shot deficit into a six shot lead.

Similarly, Alex Meddins rink won five of the six ends to come from 6-10 behind, to lead 18-11, and Captain Ritchie Janes also increased his advantage from three to six.  Across the four rinks, over the six ends Dinas had scored 36 shots and conceded 14 and in doing so had extended their lead from three to 25 shots and St Fagans were a beaten team.

The final three ends were played out with little further incident, leaving Dinas, and their watching supporters, to celebrate a 19 shot overall victory, the Division Two Championship Crown, and a swift return to the top tier after a one year absence.

A fantastic day for the Club and congratulations to Captain Richard Janes and all those who played in the 1st Team throughout the season.


G Parr, A Harvey, C Todd, A Meddins  (21-13)                                                          J Ackland, T Hurcom, C Ackland, M Ackland  (25-19)                        B Griffiths, M Edwards, C Parsons, R Janes  (17-12)                                                C Scott, J Porter, D Vowles, G Griffiths  (22-22)